Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Follow Me

     There is a pattern of these two words in the beginning of Mark and throughout all the other gospels, thus it must be important. As I read through these first chapters, for a bible study, I start thinking through what these words, "follow me" mean to the core.
     In Mark 1 Jesus sees Simon and Andrew and says "follow me, and I will make you fishers of men," "immediately they left their nets and followed Him." Jesus then sees James and John with their father and again "immediately he called them and they left their Father." Reading on into chapter 2 of Mark, Jesus calls Levi "sitting at the tax collector booth" and He says to him "follow me." "He rose and followed Him."
     ..."follow me." I'm in awe as I read about these men and their obedience.
     The words, follow me, in greek is akoloutheō, which means "to follow one who precedes, join him as his attendant, accompany him" also "to join one as a disciple, become or be his disciple"-we are called not to just to sit behind him and tag along but we are suppose to assist Him in utter obedience, as the disciples did.
     So what does this mean for us? For myself? What questions arise when we think of these two simple words?
Am I following Him? Am I immediate to follow Him, ready to go at any moment He calls me to?Wherever and whenever He calls me? Am I willing to give up my job like Simon and Andrew? Am I willing to give up my family like James and John?
...where am I called to follow, to assist, right now? 

The beginning of my Junior year I asked Jesus "What do you want me to do after High School?" and expecting a few school names to pop up, His response caught me a little off guard, He said "Follow Me" and that is where the YWAM journey began...

We have been asked to follow Him-we listen, we wait, and we are ready to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment